The Montreal Impact could have a big name in their lineup before they even take to the pitch next year.

According to various reports over the weekend, the MLS expansion club is targeting Chelsea’s French forward Nicolas Anelka.

“We did meet with Nicolas Anelka,” Impact coach Jesse Marsch told Goal.com. “The discussions were very good. I think there was great potential for a good fit and I think there still is. I think the organization is open to committed to spending major dollars to bring in good players.”

ESPN, Fox Soccer and Goal.com all confirmed on Sunday that Chelsea has accepted Anelka’s transfer request and the 32-year-old said that he knows where he’ll be playing next year.

“I’ve known for a little while where I’ll be on Jan. 2,” Anelka said in a statement on his website.

Anelka, who has played in the Premier League with Arsenal, Manchester City, Bolton and Chelsea, has been linked to a few European clubs and even a Chinese team.

A move to MLS would follow in the footsteps of fellow countryman Thierry Henry, who joined the New York Red Bulls last year.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *